Sunday, June 3, 2012

Wilton’s Roll-Out Cookies


Recipe modified by You Want Me to Cook? – May 19, 2012
For a commentary-free and printer-friendly version of it, please click here.

Wilton’s Roll-Out Cookie recipe located on their website.

Since I already used Wilton’s Chocolate Roll-out cookies, I decided to go ahead and make their recipe for the regular roll-out cookie.  I did have a couple of sugar cookie recipes that I have yet to try in my archives, but why mess with a good thing?

© You Want Me to Cook?
Wilton's Roll-Out Cookies
These are your basic cut-out cookie.  Mine are too brown around the edges since I made them larger than normal.  They had to cook a little longer for the center to set and the edges browned first.

I also had the same issue as I did with the chocolate roll-outs – a little uneven on the top and a few bubbles.  They are acceptable for decorating though.

Assessment:
for more details about what my ratings mean, go to Gretchen’s Rating System

MessSIGH – There’s little prep that needs to be done for these cookies.  The real mess comes with rolling out the cookies and the million baking sheets you’ll need to bake the cookies.  Oh yeah, you’re going to need a lot of counter space and probably have crumbs everywhere.

Start-to-Finish Time: AROUND AN HOUR – The great thing about this roll-out cookie is that you don’t have to chill it.  Once you make the dough, you can immediately start rolling.  You only have to roll out one baking sheet at a time and then while the first sheet bakes, you can start on the next.

Prep Work: ALL FINGERS STILL HERE – All mix and go.  No chopping or melting necessary.

Ease of Recipe: THE BASICS – After I made the Chocolate Roll-Out Cookies, I had my technique perfected for rolling and cutting the cookies.  This one used the same technique but was even easier because I could add flour if it got sticky.

OverallSORRY HONEY, NO LEFTOVERS – These cookies were fantastic and they were the first to go.  In fact, when I told my husband he could start eating (after they were decorated) he originally reached for one of these.  I told him to go for the chocolate ones first.

Recipe Information:
I am not a doctor or dietician.  I make my nutritional assessments with the aid of Spark Recipes.  I run the original recipe and my altered recipe through their calorie counter and then compute the differences I find.  My numbers are to be used as a guideline.  Anyone who is under dietary medical supervision should follow the advice of their medical professional if their opinion differs from mine.  PLEASE!

Makes 3 dozen cookies (3” in size)

I was making extra-large cookies so I certainly wasn’t planning on getting 36 cookies out of this.  As I rolled out the dough, I think getting that many was a definite possibility.  There wasn’t any timing information, so here’s how my timing worked out:
  • Prep: 1 minute
  • Hands-on Time: 25 minutes (includes first batch of cut outs)
  • Bake Time: 12 minutes/batch (I had 4 batches)
  • Total Time: 1 hour
That I could get this done in such a short amount of time shows how easy this recipe is.  I’m NEVER that fast when making cookies.  Even bar cookies!

There wasn’t any nutritional information included with the recipe, so I ran the ingredients through my nutritional calculating tool and got the following:
  • Calories 142.4
  • Total Fat 5.0 g
  • Saturated Fat 3.2 g
  • Cholesterol 18.5 mg
  • Sodium 129.1 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
  • Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
  • Sugars 17.4 g
  • Protein 1.1 g
While I am still shocked at the calories and fat for a single cookie, I am really speechless with the sodium level.  A single cookie has that much sodium?  Holey Moley!

Ingredients:
Changes denoted by red text

© You Want Me to Cook?
Wilton's Roll-Out Cookies - ingredients
1 cup unsalted butter, softened

1-1/2 cups granulated sugar 

1 eggs 

1-1/2 teaspoons no-color Vanilla Extract

1/2 teaspoon no-color Almond Extract

2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour 

1 teaspoon baking powder 

1 teaspoon salt

Ingredient Notes:
No-Color Vanilla Extract – Wilton makes a no-color vanilla extract meant to be used in their frostings.  You can’t use regular vanilla extract when you are tinting frosting because it adds a brown tint.  I figured I’d use the no-color for the cookies as well.

Equipment Needed:

© You Want Me to Cook?
Wilton's Roll-Out Cookies - Equipment
Stand Mixer
Plastic Scraper
Large Bowl
Spoon – mixing
Parchment Paper
Rolling Pin
4-6” Round Cookie Cutters
Baking Sheets
Flexible Spatula
Cooling Racks





Equipment Notes:
Stand Mixer – Wilton’s recipe simply states to beat the butter and sugar with a mixer in a large bowl.  I already have a stand mixer (a good investment if you like to bake a lot), so I went with that.

Parchment Paper – I use Parchment Paper in a lot of places.  I use it when I’m rolling out the dough to keep it from sticking to the counter thereby keeping the mess to a minimum.  I also use it to line the baking sheet, which keeps them cleaner and allows me to move the cookies from place to place a lot easier.

Directions:
(1)   Preheat oven to 350°F and then prep the ingredients.
Ordinarily, I have you prep the ingredients first, but since it shouldn’t take too long I decided to preheat the oven before prep.  Even if it is done preheating before you’re done, you’ll have a nice hot oven for consistent baking.
(2)  In a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar with mixer until light and fluffy.
Again, if you don’t have a stand mixer, use a large bowl and hand mixer as the recipe specifies.
(3)  Beat in eggs and extracts.

(4)  Mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Do not chill dough.

(5)  Divide dough into 2 balls.

(6)  On floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12" diameter x 1/8 in. thick.

(7)  Dip cookie cutter in flour before each use. Cut and transfer cookies to cookie sheet.

(8)  Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet 8-11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
I will let my cookies cool slightly on the pan before trying to move them, especially if you’re making them large.  That way they won’t crack or bend.
These cookies are delicious!  I think the highlight is the light almond flavor.  It worked well with Wilton’s Buttercream Frosting and I’d be willing to bet it works with a lot of other types of frosting as well.

If I were to make it again, I wouldn’t change a single thing.  I’d just make sure I made a second batch to have all to myself.  As always… Happy Cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment