Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sample: Quaker Honey Nut Oatmeal Squares

I love samples.  I really love samples.  I am a sample junkie.

There, I’ve said it and I feel much better.

I get a lot of links to free hair and skin care samples, but occasionally there will be one for food.  Like this one I got from Quaker.  It was a sample for their new Honey Nut Oatmeal Squares.  I happily gave my shipping information and waited patiently for it to arrive.

Now, I’ll admit I’m kind of a pessimist.  I didn’t expect anything more than a few squares.  Just enough to give me a taste leaving me wanting more and sending me to the grocery store in search of a full box.  Imagine my surprise – and try my best to admit when I’m wrong – when this box arrived in the mail.

Box from Quaker
Bowl, Spoon & Milk from my kitchen

Now like an idiot, I didn’t get a picture of what was INSIDE the box, so I shared an image off of Quaker’s web site - or at least I am trying to share it.  They have the worst loading website ever, so it is entirely possible that you won't be able to see it.  They were smaller and lighter than Kellogg’s Shredded Mini Wheats and of course they weren’t frosted. 

But how did they taste?

They tasted great!  They were sweet and had a light oatmeal taste, but what really came through was the honey. 

I decided to look up the nutritional information:
  • Calories 210
  • Total Fat 2.5g
  • Saturated Fat .5g
  • Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
  • Monounsaturated Fat 1g
  • Cholesterol 0mg
  • Sodium 190mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 44g
  • Dietary Fiber 5g
  • Sugars 9g
  • Protein 6g
So not bad for a cold cereal (mind you there isn’t any milk added into this equation).  It also is chock-full of some other good stuff:
  • Iron 90% RDA
  • Folic Acid 100%         
  • Vitamin B5 25%
Honestly I’m pretty impressed.  So if you’re in the market for a cold cereal that has some pretty impressive nutritional information, you might consider giving this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment