Monday, June 18, 2012

What I Made: June 16 & 17, 2012

Ah, the weekend.  I often try to take it a little easy on the weekends since I cook a lot during the week.  For some reason this weekend, I was incredibly motivated to cook and bake.

Okay, well I wasn't motivated ALL weekend.  Saturday morning was spent running errands and I wasn't in the mood to make lunch, so we picked something up.  I kicked it into high gear for dinner.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Portobello Mushroom Burgers


I got the recipe for Portobello Mushroom Burgers from All You.  Initially, I was looking for a Mushroom-Quinoa Burger I found in January's issue, but for some reason it was nowhere to be found on their website.  Since I recycle my magazines as soon as I've read them, the recipe has been lost (to me at least) forever.


I paired the burger with a very extravagant potato dish I got from the April 2012 issue of Food Network Magazine.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Scalloped Potatoes with Tomatoes and Bell Peppers

It took me about 2 hours to make these Scalloped Potatoes with Tomatoes and Bell Peppers, but it was definitely delicious.  I also got to capture some incredible pictures like this one.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Tomatoes, Bell Peppers & Onions

But really, don't these two meals look like they belong together?

© You Want Me to Cook?
Portobello Mushroom Burgers and Scalloped Potatoes with Tomatoes & Bell Peppers
We finished off the meal with one of my husband's favorite things, coconut desserts.  

Okay, he loves desserts in general, but he really likes coconut, which is a problem for me since it is one of my least favorite things.  Because of that, I need to find dishes that appeal to me in some other way.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Chocolate-Hazelnut-Coconut Bars

These Chocolate-Hazelnut-Coconut Bars from Pillsbury's April 2012 issue hit just the right spot.  I have been obsessed with Nutella lately, so tossing it with a little chocolate chip cookie dough to form a crust is exactly what makes me want to try a recipe.  Throw in a healthy dash of coconut and we're both happy!

Sunday morning and I decided it was time to make an actual breakfast instead of drinking coffee and nibbling on last night's pastries.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Oatmeal Raisin Pancakes

The recipe from Oatmeal Raisin Pancakes came to me via e-mail from an Every Day with Rachael Ray newsletter on May 5, 2012.

Really our pancakes were more of a brunch, so I made a light lunch mid-afternoon.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Quick Pizza Rolls

Another newsletter e-mail on May 8, 2012 from Simple and Delicious gave me these Quick Pizza Rolls.  I actually made the rolls from frozen dough while I was waiting for my pancakes to cook.  The recipe was only supposed to give me 4 rolls, but it actually gave me 6 and I still had about half the filling leftover.

I'm planning on picking up some more rolls when I go to the grocery store tomorrow.  Yup, they were THAT good.  In fact so good that we ate too many of them and weren't ready for dinner until later in the evening.

Fortunately, I had a lighter dinner planned: Creamy Tomato-Stuffed Chicken from American Family daily newsletter on Thursday, May 10, 2012.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Creamy Tomato-Stuffed Chicken

They actually look a lot more complicated to make than they were.  Of course, I made an interesting discovery that leaving the chicken just barely frozen (flexible but a little "crisp") made it ten-times easier to pound it out and roll it.

I'd like to say that the evening capped off with these Lemon Cheesecake Bars that I got from MyRecipes via e-mail on May 11, 2012.  

© You Want Me to Cook?
Lemon Cheesecake Bars

Unfortunately, I should have made them with breakfast because they had to chill for 8 hours and if you make this, don't try to take them out of the early.  Trust me, they won't come out in one piece.  You can also trust me when I say they are WELL WORTH THE WAIT. 

Anyway, the 8 hour delay is one of the reasons I had to wait to publish this post until today.
Seriously!

I know... I know... I'm always behind, but I actually wrote this on Sunday evening!  Go figure that I would do something else to keep me from posting on time.

Remember tomorrow (or today really) is Vegan Monday!  I've got a breakfast "cake" and some comfort food that is made in the slow cooker.

Until then... happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment