Thursday, June 28, 2012

What I'm Making/Made this Week - June 25 through July 1, 2012

I have been cooking.  It's just that I'm doing it a little at a time.  One thing for sure is that our mourning process for one of our pug clean-up crew requires a lot of comfort food and sweets.

Here's what I've made so far:

Monday is Vegan Day and I found another recipe out of Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson that I wanted to make.  Then I added it to one of my favorites from the book that I already made.  I present to you Home-Style Loaf with Garlic Mashers...

© You Want Me to Cook?
Home-Style Loaf with Garlic Mashers


This is probably one of my favorite faux-meats I've made yet.  It definitely reminded me of meat loaf!  I was a little worried about the consistency of the dish, but it wasn't grainy or crunchy at all.  

When it comes to photographing my meals, I try to always plate and photograph my first serving.  As you can probably tell, the first piece didn't hold together well. I was disappointed, and thought this was going to turn into a loose-meat dish.  The second piece came out nicely though.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Home-Style Loaf with Garlic Mashers

Moving along to Tuesday, for dinner I made Spaghetti with Bacon Meatballs via e-mail from Real Simple on April 30, 2012.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Spaghetti with Bacon Meatballs

I don't know if I've ever had meatballs that tasted this good.  And it wasn't just the bacon - because you know bacon makes everything better - it was the fact that the vegetables were pulsed to small bites before adding the meat, egg and breadcrumbs.

I also made the cakes and cupcakes for my Wilton Portfolio and did some of the prep for tomorrow's breakfast.

On Wednesday, I got the day started right by making/finishing a Panko-Topped Curried Eggs Breakfast Pizza from Pillsbury's April issue.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Panko-Topped Curried Eggs Breakfast Pizza

Now I know it looks like a lot of work and even the name is kind of scary sounding (like you'll spend hours making it), but it really wasn't hard to make.  You do have to plan ahead since you'll need hard-boiled eggs, but once you have them cooked, it is super-easy to make.

That being said, we thought the panko overtook the dish and we couldn't really taste the eggs or any other aspect of the dish.  Still, we've enjoyed it for breakfast two days in a row by simply brushing off some of the breadcrumbs.

That afternoon and evening I finished off my cake.  

© You Want Me to Cook?
Roses to the Occasion

The cake itself is an Italian Cream Cheese Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting.  It's 2 layers with frosting and pecans as the filling.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Roses to the Occasion

I definitely need more practice covering the cake with fondant and getting straight lines, but my roses and leaves turned out gorgeous. See?

© You Want Me to Cook?
Roses to the Occasion

So what's on the menu for the rest of the week? 

Well today, Thursday, I was planning on making dinner with dessert, but we just had the weirdest storm blow through here and I have a hysterical Chihuahua.  If you know anything about Chihuahuas, you know they are mental WITHOUT stimulation.  Since she's already peed on me, I figure making sure she's happy and relaxed is a little more important that making some chicken.

With a little reconfiguration of the menu plan, here's what it looks like:

  • Friday
  • Saturday is breakfast day!
  • Sunday
    • Sage and Prosciutto Chicken Saltimbocca with Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus (Taste of Home)
    • And for dessert... Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Empanadas (Pillsbury)
I should be back to posting fairly regularly, so until next time... happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment