Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Gum Paste and Fondant – Class #4: The Final Class


Tonight was our last class and you know what that means: FINAL PROJECTS!  We still had a couple of things to cover, but the majority of the class was doing our final design.

But first… here is what we covered this night from the class lesson plan for this course:
  • Gum Paste and Fondant 101
  • Bow Loops
  • Mum Base, Rose Base
  • Carnation Base
  • Assembling a Bow
  • Tinting Gum Paste and Fondant
  • Basic Principles of Floral Cake Design
  • Calla Lily
  • Rosebud and Rose
  • Carnation
  • Calyxes and Leaves
  • Assembling the Calla Lily
  • Daisy
  • Mum
  • Covering a Cake Board with Fondant
  • Elements of Fondant Cake Design
  • Creating Geometric Designs Using Cut-Outs, Overlays, and Inlays
  • Eyelet, Ruffle, and Ball Borders
We had to cover our cakes with fondant and Maria taught us a couple of techniques on how to do it.  I managed to get my cake covered with only a couple of dimples… not bad for my first try.  I did have some boo-boos at the bottom, but that’s the beauty of using a border.  Hides all boo-boos quite well, thank you very much.

I practiced the different borders and decided my ruffle border looked the best.  It didn’t take me too long to get my border completed and placed on the cake, so I moved on to the design.

After a long decision making process – which included me whining a lot – I decided on a version of Wilton’s Creative Calla Lilies Cake and their Small Cake, Big Ideas Cake.  I wanted the small cluster so I could write a “Happy Birthday” message on it.  However, the small cluster on “Small Cake, Big Ideas” was too small, so I wanted to pile them the Creative Calla Lilies cake.

I also had not practiced applying small decorations to the side or cutting out and assembling letters.  I worked slow and steady and this was my end result…

© You Want Me to Cook

I went with a pink and green fondant to go with the white/yellow lilies.  I wanted it to look springy and happy.

I think I accomplished that.

I made the Calla Lilies and Leaves two days before.  Placing them on the cake in the “pile” was the most challenging thing about this cake… and that includes covering the cake with fondant.

© You Want Me to Cook

I was really proud of the detail of my lilies.  I wasn’t sure they’d stay on there, but by the end of class they were not moving.

© You Want Me to Cook

The only issues I had with the dots on the side were (a) getting a circle I liked – I rolled, cut and tried out different shapes – and (b) spacing.  I had to do a little re-positioning at the end, but I think I hid some of my spacing issues well.  And my ruffle border looked pretty too.

© You Want Me to Cook

I bought a letter cutter set, so the lettering was REALLY easy.  All I had to do was make sure I got the spacing correct. 

© You Want Me to Cook

I was pleased.

I dropped the cake off at my cousin Sam’s house today.   

She liked it.   

I am happy.   

This class was a huge success.

Next week I start the final class, Advanced Gum Paste Flowers.  I am so excited that I’ve already bought a bunch of tools.  It has been like Christmas around here!

I’ll check in after my first class, but until then… happy decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment