Friday, May 11, 2012

Advanced Gum Paste Flowers – Class #1


This week I started the final Wilton course in cake decorating – Advanced Gum Paste Flowers.  I am excited and a little bit sad.  I couldn’t wait to get started, but I’ve really enjoyed these classes and am sad that soon I’m going to be done with them.









Here is lesson plan for this course.  The red, bold text is what we covered in the class:
  • Blossoms
  • Gerber Daisies
  • Sweet Peas
  • Ivy Leaves
  • Lily Leaves
  • Briar Rose
  • Stargazer Lily
  • Stephanotis
  • Assemble Blossoms, Leaves and Bouquets
  • Using Flower Spikes
Before we started making our first flowers, we prepared our gum paste by kneading it, tinting it and rolling it.  All stuff we’ve done before.  Then we moved on to something I was not anticipating being terribly difficult… using florist wire.

Once I got it started, it was easy, but getting it started?  Let’s just say I came really close to having a meltdown.  Florists, you have my respect.

Okay, so we moved along to Blossoms.  These flowers are the size of a dime and so delicate they are easily ripped when threading the wire and stamen.  I massacred two of them before I got one to hold together… even if it looks like someone chewed on it and spit it out.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Blossoms
Don’t believe me how tiny these are?  Check out this picture.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Blossoms
My fingers were too fat to even pinch the bottom of the blossom to the stem.  Anyone know a way to tone up your fingers?

Then we moved on to the Gerbera Daisy.  A challenging flower in that the leaves are easily stretched and twisted off.  I finished a beautiful one in class and was quite proud of it.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Gerbera Daisy
This is not it.

When class was through, I carefully packed away my flower into the travel container.  Then I placed it in my bag.  I guess I twisted the bag a little too much while walking because the flower ended up in a ball during the 50-foot walk out to my car and the 3 mile ride home.

I was a tad hysterical when I opened up the container at home.  It took me a couple of days to get the strength to practice it again.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Gerbera Daisy
At least I was able to duplicate it and all was right in the world again.

We finished the evening by making the center for the Sweet Pea flower which we will be making in Lesson #3.  They need plenty of time to dry before we form the flower around the base.

Next week we will be making several types of leaves, putting together a Briar Rose and making the petals for the Stargazer Lily.  I can’t wait!

Until next time… happy decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment