Saturday, April 21, 2012

Gum Paste and Fondant – Class #2


Last week we did a lot of prep work and made our lovely bow.  It was an incredibly busy class, but we didn’t have a lot to show at the end of the night. 

Class #2 was a totally different story!

We made several flowers with stems, calyxes (the outermost part of the flower) and leaves.  Something else happened too… I didn’t feel overwhelmed!  I truly enjoyed working with the gum paste and fondant and could have done it for hours more.

Here is what we covered in this night from the class lesson plan for this course:
  • Gum Paste and Fondant 101
  • Bow Loops
  • Mum Base, Rose Base
  • Carnation Base
  • Assembling a Bow
  • Tinting Gum Paste and Fondant
  • Basic Principles of Floral Cake Design
  • Calla Lily
  • Rosebud and Rose
  • Carnation
  • Calyxes and Leaves
  • Assembling the Calla Lily
  • Daisy
  • Mum
  • Covering a Cake Board with Fondant
  • Elements of Fondant Cake Design
  • Creating Geometric Designs Using Cut-Outs, Overlays, and Inlays
  • Eyelet, Ruffle, and Ball Borders
I’d also like to note that this is a different teacher than the other classes.  They both have distinct teaching styles and I love them both!  Maria, our instructor for this course, does a high-level overview at the front, then walks to each table critiquing our work and giving us a close-up demo on how to fix it.  The great thing about this is if we go a little faster, we can make more flowers or give them more detail.

I LOVE IT!

We started with Calla Lilies.  We had to form the petal and center first to let them dry.  Then we assembled the dried pieces and finished with the calyx.  The end result is this:

© You Want Me to Cook?

I am pretty happy with these, although I think I’ll go with yellow pearl dust in the center rather than the yellow sugar.

We moved on to Roses which made me very nervous.  My buttercream roses were a disaster.  The royal icing ones, while better, weren’t all that impressive.  I figured it would be another disaster.

And I was very wrong.

© You Want Me to Cook?

I love this flower!  Look at the delicate little Leaves I made.  It was like I finally figured out how to make a gorgeous rose.  It only took me 3 classes to do it.  I practically wrapped these little babies in bubble wrap and cuddled it all the way home.  I wanted it to survive so I could take pictures.  Now I have to find a cake worthy of its beauty.

© You Want Me to Cook?

Okay, that is a little over the top, but I was really proud.

© You Want Me to Cook?
One more picture just for good measure.

The Carnation was next and after watching Maria and then reading the book, I couldn’t figure out how this was going to work.

© You Want Me to Cook?

Trust the process, G… trust the process.

I got done quickly and had time to do one of the book’s suggestions for enhancing the flower by putting a little pearl dust.  At first I wasn’t sure if I liked it as much as the others, but I think this really is the favorite thing I’ve made from all 3 classes.  My friends applauded my effort when I posted them on Facebook as well.

© You Want Me to Cook?

I can’t believe I’m half-way done with this class already.  Next week we use the last of our bases from the first class and make mums.  We also make Daisies and learn how to cover things with fondant.

I promise I’ll try to blog about it in a more, ahem, timely fashion.  Until then… happy decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment