Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Flowers and Cake Design – Class #2


This was one of those classes where you sat down, got your equipment out and before you knew it, it was time to clean up.  After 6 classes, I got into a groove and kept up with the pace of the class.  And you know what else?  I kicked butt this time around too.

Yeah, I said it.

I think we finally covered something I am kind of good at and I’ve decided that I will only decorate with Royal Icing.

Okay, enough patting myself on the back.  Let’s get to it.

What we covered this week from the class lesson plan, as listed on Wilton’s website, is in the RED BOLD text:
  • Basic Principles of Cake Design
  • Gum Paste and Fondant 101
  • Button Flower
  • Pansy
  • Making Royal Icing
  • Making a Parchment Bag
  • Flower Nail
  • Rose Base, Rose Center
  • Apple Blossom, Primrose
  • Rosebud
  • Daffodil
  • Violet
  • Using the Lily Nail, Lily
  • Making Stems
  • Guidelines for Flower Arrangments
  • Floral Cake Design
  • Reverse Shell
  • Basketweave
  • Wilton Rose
We had to bring in Royal Icing we made at home.  I chose to make pink and yellow icing for my flowers.  We practiced making Rose Bases first in preparation for making Roses next week.  Luckily for me, it is almost the same technique as the roses we made out of butter cream.  Even better was that the cake I made for Easter had many roses on it, so I had a lot of practice over the weekend.

We then moved on to the Apple Blossom.  This is a very delicate flower (sometimes called a filler flower since you can use it to fill blank space where you intended none to be) that is a little trickier than it looks.  Each leaf is made independently yet you have to have them connect seamlessly in the middle or the flower will fall apart. 

© You Want Me to Cook?
After I got a couple done, I got the hang of it and managed to make this lovely little flower.

© You Want Me to Cook?

Next was the Primrose.  This one is similar to the Apple Blossom in design, but larger with a little more detail in the petals.  Here each petal is made in the shape of a heart.  Again, they have to connect seamlessly without any gaps in the petals.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Same as before, after a couple tries, I managed to get a gorgeous flower that made me grin from ear-to-ear.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Finally, we got to the Rosebud.  Just looking at this one in the book made me shutter.  This was one of those that you really needed someone to show you how to make it in person instead of reading it in a book.  I must have made about 20 of them before it finally clicked.  Then they came one after another.

© You Want Me to Cook?
I think this one made me most proud.

© You Want Me to Cook?
I also made some in yellow for good measure.

© You Want Me to Cook?

© You Want Me to Cook?
So you’re probably wondering what happened to my Gum Paste and Fondant class I was supposed to attend starting last week.  Funny story… they changed it and forgot to call me.

Yeah, I didn’t find it all that funny, but I got over it.

I’m supposed to start tomorrow (fingers crossed) and now that I’ve got a couple classes working with gum paste, fondant and royal icing under my belt, I’m going to catch on quickly.  Hopefully, I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I know you’ve heard that from me already, but I’ve got assurance that it’s starting tomorrow.

Until then… happy decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment