Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Progress and The Most Disgusting Thing I've Ever Tasted

Before I get started for the day, I thought I'd let everyone know how it's going.  I didn't get nearly what I wanted to get done yesterday.  I did manage to make the appetizer dips and salad dressings.  Today I'm starting the day with making the cheesecake... mostly because I know it is the hardest thing I'll be making (other than the turkey of course).

I also wanted to share a huge mistake I made yesterday.  I was making Light Blue Cheese Dressing and the recipe called for Low-Fat Plain Yogurt.  We usually keep a large container in the fridge for smoothies, so when it was time, I grabbed it and started mixing.  I took a little taste before I mixed in the blue cheese and it tasted off.  I figured the blue cheese had to finish it off.  I mixed in the Blue cheese and gave it a taste.

It was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted... EVER!

It was so sour that I immediately thought I had something that had expired or gone bad.  I started picking up cartons and containers checking dates and smelling the food.  Nope.  Then I spun the yogurt around and looked at the label.

My husband had bought Vanilla yogurt.   

The sweet against the lemon and blue cheese created a curdled taste in the dip.  I've vomited before and had a better taste in my mouth.  It was horrifying and I drank a glass of water and chewed a piece of gum to stop the offensive breath that was sure to form.  I tried to figure out a way to salvage the dressing, but it wasn't going to happen.  Mostly because I wasn't willing to taste it again to see if it was getting any better.

Thank all that is holy that I bought extra blue cheese and still had a gigantic tub of Greek yogurt left over.  I started again and this time, the dressing turned out SUPERB.  I even thought about cooking up some buffalo chicken so I could eat it right then.  

I'm going to also throw out there that I'm glad I made the mistake.  I had never tried Greek yogurt before now (I know - what was I thinking) and was totally unaware of how creamy and rich this low-fat yogurt was.  The regular low-fat yogurt was downright watery compared to it.  The remake with the Greek yogurt was creamy and delicious.

Hope your holiday plans are coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment