Friday, February 25, 2011

Turkey & Bean Chili


Recipe modified by Gretchen Wilson – November 17, 2010
For a commentary-free and printer-friendly version of it, please click here.

Recipe originally published by MyRecipes daily e-zine “Dinner Tonight”.

First, I am going to say that I really didn’t “change” the recipe.  I just elaborated on the ingredients and listed all of them in the instructions.  I hate it when they say, “the next six ingredients” and make you count them.  Now on to the recipe… I love chili and have a favorite recipe that I used to make often.  I realized, one day, that my husband was not eating it with me, and although he won’t admit it, I get the feeling he just didn’t like that dish.

Chili isn’t that healthy of a dish, so I started searching for a turkey chili that would rival my favorite ground beef chili recipe.  This was one of the first turkey chili recipes that had a tomato sauce.  I was excited.  I printed off the recipe and it sat for a long time.  Then I got that craving for chili again.

My finished product:


Picture published with recipe:

© myRecipes.com



I didn’t plate mine with the cilantro bunches.  I’m just not that big of a fan of that much cilantro in one place.  And of course, the obvious difference is the sour cream.  I love sour cream in a hot bowl of chili, so I ate it that way anyway, but that’s not the point.  The point is, the recipe didn’t say that, and if you’ve read any of my other posts – that annoys me.  If you look at the chili, it is pretty similar.  Mine is a little more “juicy” but that is how I like it.


Assessment:
for more details about what my ratings mean, go to Gretchen’s Rating System

MessEH – There is a little bit of chopping, but that chopping is very messy.  Cleaning and seeding a pepper is a pain in the rear.  Everything else is done in one pot and you’re done.

Start-to-Finish Time: UNDER AN HOUR – Once you get the prep work done, it is about 20 minutes of cooking.  Depending on how adept you are at chopping, it is possible to get this done in 30 minutes.  Of course, I like to let my chili simmer at a low temperature for a bit longer than 10 minutes, but if you’re pressed for time, you can finish it in 30 minutes.

Prep Work: LOSS OF FINGER POSSIBLE – There isn’t much to do, but what needs to be done is a pain.  I always feel like I’m dealing with nuclear material when seeding and chopping hot peppers.

Ease of Recipe: THE BASICS – Even if you’ve never dealt with hot peppers, it really isn’t a difficult recipe.  You just have to be careful when chopping the peppers to not get any on your hands.

OverallYUMMY – This reminded me of my favorite chili, my husband liked it and it was a healthy option for us.  It doesn’t get much better than that.

Recipe Information:
Time estimates are from the original publisher of the recipe, not the length of time it took me to create it.  Look for my comments below.  Nutritional Information is based on original recipe.  Any changes I make to reduce the caloric, fat, cholesterol or sodium content are not reflected in the Nutritional Information.

Prep/Total Time: None given
Servings: 6

Nutritional Information (1 cup of chili and 1 lime wedge)
  • Calories 211
  • Total Fat 6.5g (Saturated Fat 1.7g)
  • Iron 3.4mg
  • Cholesterol 54mg
  • Calcium 52mg
  • Sodium 474mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 16.4g
  • Fiber 4.7g
  • Protein 22.5g

You can absolutely get six servings out of this dish, but they will be one-cup servings.  That may not be enough to fill up everyone.  I recommend either having the chili with a sandwich (maybe toasted cheese) or a large piece of cornbread.

I didn’t alter the ingredients since this was already a fairly healthy recipe.  However, some companies are starting to carry low or reduced sodium canned tomatoes and beans.  I will search for them next time I make this dish.

Ingredients:
Changes denoted by red text

1 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup chopped seeded poblano pepper (about 1)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1¼ pounds ground turkey
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 can (19 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 ounces) fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 lime wedges

Ingredient Notes:
Red Onion – Red onions are usually fairly large, so you'll only need ½ of one to get a cup (possibly even more than a cup).

Poblano Pepper
  • These peppers (pronounced puh-BLAH-noh) and are on the mild side, but you still want to keep any juice from the pepper off of your hands.  The hottest part of the pepper is the seed. 
  • Make sure you wear gloves when cleaning and cutting up the pepper.  The juices will remain on your skin and if you touch your eyes it will burn like nobody's business.
  • If you can’t find poblano peppers, you can substitute bell peppers (more mild than the poblano) or canned chile peppers.

Ground Turkey – If you look for Jenny-O ground turkey, they sell it in 1.25 pound packages.  That way you won’t have to buy multiple packages and have odd amounts.

Cannellini Beans
  • It is an Italian, white bean that is a little nutty tasting.  If you can’t find them, you can substitute Great Northern or Navy beans.
  • If you look at the sodium content of canned beans, you’ll notice it is pretty high.  Most of the sodium is in the liquid in the can, so you should rinse them well and drain them (as to not dilute your chili).  Place them in a colander and pass cool water over them while swirling them with your hand.  When they lose the “slimy” feeling, turn off the water and let them drain for a few minutes.

Cilantro – Often I’ll use dried herbs in place of fresh ones when it is a small amount.  In this case, there is a substantial amount needed and, of course, they are used as a garnish.  Use fresh if you use at all.

Lime Wedges – You’ll need a couple limes to get the six wedges, unless you are going to have extra small lime wedges.

Equipment Needed:
Cutting board
Sharp knife
Gloves
Colander
Large saucepan/Stockpot
Large spoon

Equipment Notes:
Gloves – to be used to seed and cut the peppers.  Make sure you get non-latex and powder-free if you aren’t using regular kitchen gloves.  Do not use any gloves that you use to clean.  I use Nitrile gloves that you can purchase in the pharmacy.

Large Saucepan / Stockpot – I think the recipe writers definition of “large saucepan” must be different from mine, because what I consider my large saucepan wouldn’t come close to holding all the ingredients.  I used my stockpot (which is also my pasta pot) and it worked incredibly well.

Directions:
(1)  Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.

(2)  Add onion, pepper, garlic and turkey; cook for 6 minutes or until turkey is done, stirring frequently to crumble.

I really didn’t change the recipe here.  I simply listed the ingredients as a substitute for “the next four ingredients.”

(3)  Stir in chili powder, <i>tomato paste, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, beans, tomatoes and chicken broth; bring to a boil.

Same comment as above.

(4)  Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

I enjoy letting my soup, chili and sauces simmer at a very low temperature for a little longer.  It seems to let the flavors meld together.  However, it will taste fine if you let it simmer 10 minutes.

(5)  Stir in cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

This was a great alternative to traditional chili, although I can’t see chili-purists seeing it the same way I do.  When I make this again, I am going to do the following:
  • Add light/no-fat sour cream, which I already did, but didn’t “officially” include in the recipe.
  • Look for reduced sodium tomatoes, which they are starting to make.
  • Look for reduced sodium beans, which would really help lower the sodium count even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment