Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hot Chicken and Chips Retro

Recipe modified by You Want Me to Cook? on February 4, 2011
For a commentary-free and printer friendly version, please click here.

Recipe originally published in Cooking Light’s weekly e-zine on Friday, January 30, 2009.

I am a sucker for all things retro, so the title caught my eye.  The premise of this recipe is a tart chicken casserole with a crunchy topping.  I was sold.  Cooking Light also took the time to “thin it out” a little, so I didn’t have to deal with all the pesky fat and calories that usually comes with a recipe like this.

My finished product:

© You Want Me to Cook?Hot Chicken & Chips Retro
Picture published with recipe:

© Cooking Light
Unfortunately, Cooking Light didn’t take a picture of their dish as a serving (although their picture does look awfully pretty).  However, comparing the two, my chips are golden and you can see the lovely green and red of the vegetables poking through.  So I passed the visual test, now I had to worry about taste.


Assessment:
for more details about what my ratings mean, go to Gretchen’s Rating System

MessSIGH – At first, I didn’t think this should have been too bad, but when it comes to the chicken, you either have to (a) cook the chicken breasts and then cut them, or (b) skin, de-bone and cut up a rotisserie chicken as I did.  While the second option is less time consuming and generates fewer dishes to clean, it is quite a messy task.  Add that to having to clean and chop a pepper with seeds and I had to give it a slightly worse rating.

Start-to-Finish Time: UNDER AN HOUR – It took me less time to assemble the casserole than to prep the ingredients and the cook time is under 20 minutes.  Unless you have to cook the chicken (add 20 minutes minimum) you should definitely be able to finish this under an hour.

Prep Work: LOSS OF FINGER POSSIBLE – Since this was the entire reason the Mess rating was SIGH, I figured it deserved this rating.  Now, removing the skin and pulling the meat from the chicken isn’t a difficult task (in fact, kids could probably do it), it is just so messy.  I ended up with chicken bits, juice and skin all over my hands, counter & floor.  Oh yeah, and I hate cleaning peppers.

Ease of Recipe: COOK IT IN MY SLEEP – Especially if you use pre-cooked chicken, all you have to do it chop a little, mix a little and layer the casserole.

OverallSORRY HONEY, NO LEFTOVERS – This was one of those dishes by the ingredients I knew would taste good.  I just didn’t realize how good it was going to taste.  I scooped a bite directly out of the dish even before I plated and photographed it.  My husband felt the same way and began eating it cold out of the dish.

Recipe Information:
Time estimates are from the original publisher of the recipe, not the length of time it took me to create it.  Look for my comments below.  Nutritional Information is based on original recipe.  Any changes I make to reduce the caloric, fat, cholesterol or sodium content are not reflected in the Nutritional Information.

Prep/Total Time: none given
Servings: 6

Nutritional Information
  • Calories 321
  • Total Fat 10.9g (Saturated Fat 4.1g)
  • Cholesterol 96mg
  • Sodium 606mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 20.4g
  • Fiber 2.6g
  • Protein 34.3g
  • Iron 11.4mg
  • Calcium 175mg

Cooking Light didn’t give any prep/cooking time for this dish because I’m assuming that for a simple casserole you shouldn’t take too long.  Of course, it always makes me laugh when they expect you to materialize cooked chicken out of thin air.  Why not include that in the recipe steps?

Anyway, here is how long it took me to make the dish:
  • Prep: 15 minutes
  • Assembly: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 18 minutes
  • Total: 43 minutes

You could probably get more than six servings if you serve the dish with a broth soup (think vegetable or chicken) or a salad.  I ate mine with a large salad.  Honestly, I’m not sure what my husband ate it with – I only ever saw him scooping it and eating it directly out of the dish.

The nutritional information wasn’t too bad, but considering it was Cooking Light who produced the recipe, I would hope it wasn’t too bad.  However, when this recipe was written, they hadn’t come out with the Olive Oil mayonnaise yet, which is better in fat and cholesterol and higher in the “good fat”.  That was what I opted to use.

Ingredients:
Changes denoted by red text

1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat chopped
¼ cup chopped green onions
¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
½ cup low-fat olive oil mayonnaise
¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
¾ cup (3 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
¾ cup crushed baked potato chips (about 2 ounces)

Ingredient Notes:
Rotisserie Chicken – the original recipe called for “4 cooked, skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped” but I didn’t want to take the time to cook the chicken, wait for it to cool and then chop it.  So I bought a rotisserie chicken from the deli, removed the skin and bones and chopped up all the meat – dark meat and all.

Green Onions­ – to get the ¼ cup chopped green onions, you’ll need approximately 3 out of a bunch.

Red Bell Pepper
  • The difference between red bell peppers and their green counterparts are green are both less flavorful and expensive.  However, either can be used, I just went with the red bell peppers to give it a little more kick.
  • To get the ¼ cup of chopped pepper, you’ll need approximately ½ of a small bell pepper.

Parsley – The original recipe called for 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, but since it wasn’t a very large amount, I substituted 2 teaspoons of dried parsley.

Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is made by slowing adding oil to an egg yolk while mixing/whisking rapidly.  The type of oil determines the type of mayonnaise.  Most “regular” mayonnaise use soybean oil (for its low cost).  Then they came out with Canola mayonnaise made with canola oil (more expensive but healthier).  Finally, they went back to mayonnaise’s roots by using olive oil which is expensive, but the healthiest option.  I buy olive oil mayonnaise because I love the stuff, but need to watch my cholesterol and fat levels.

Lemon Juice – to get the 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, you’ll need to squeeze about ½ of a lemon.

Dijon Mustard – there are a lot of types of Dijon mustard, but you want to stick with the traditional Dijon instead of one of the flavored ones.

Equipment Needed:
© You Want Me to Cook?Hot Chicken & Chips Retro
Equipment Needed
Cutting board
Sharp knife
Juicer
Large bowl
Large spoon - mixing
Small bowl
Whisk
11x7 baking dish




Equipment Notes:
11x7 baking dish – you always want to use a glass baking dish or pan when using acidic ingredients (lemon juice) or anything with eggs (mayonnaise).  According to Better Homes and Gardens, these ingredients can react badly with the metal pan and cause the food to discolor.

Directions:
(1)  Combine chicken, green onions, red bell pepper, parsley and water chestnuts in a large bowl; stir well.

The only reason I have “changes” to this step is because I listed all the ingredients to be added to the chicken.  I HATE having to count “the next 4 ingredients”.  My brain is already being taxed with cooking.

(2)  Combine low-fat mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, mustard, salt and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.

See the comment I made for step #1.

(3)  Add mayonnaise mixture to chicken mixture; stir well to combine.

© You Want Me to Cook?
Hot Chicken & Chips Retro
Casserole Assembled
(4)  Spoon chicken mixture into an 11 x 7” baking dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with cheese.

(5)  Top cheese evenly with chips.








(6)  Bake at 400°F for 13 to 18 minutes or until filling is bubbly and chips are golden.

The original recipe gave a cook time as 13 minutes, but my filling didn’t get “bubbly” or my chips “golden” until about 18 minutes had passed.  Therefore, I gave you a cooking range to use.  Start checking in on it around 13 minutes, but be prepared to have it cook a little longer.

While reviewing my recipe notes, the only thing I had written down about the taste was “creamy chicken casserole with a kick.”  I must have been way too busy shoving gigantic spoonfuls of it into my mouth to write down anything else.  The chips gave it a delightful crunch and added a great saltiness to the dish.  This is one of those dishes I keep on hand to make in a pinch if I don’t feel like stressing myself out cooking for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment