Monday, September 5, 2011

Eating Out: Leona's


I was first introduced to Leona’s in the mid-90s.  I was immediately in love after they brought out a fresh loaf of bread with a whipped butter.  Actually, that’s one of the things they’re known for.  The other is their fantastic lasagna.

Eventually I moved out of the city (actually about 5000 miles away) and Leona’s became a distant and fond memory.  Then we moved back, and 4 miles away from our house is a Leona’s.  My husband found some special coupons (80% off actually – oh yeah) on Restaurants.com and we planned our meal.

What was eaten:  Chicken Parmiagga – Alfredo & Mushroom

They give you two options for meal size – pleasing and plenty.  Either option comes with two side dishes (depending on what you order, you get to pick 1-2 items from their side listing).  I went with the “Pleasing” size because I was planning on ordering dessert too. 

First, let’s get out the obvious… I wasn’t concerned with calories, fat or sodium when I ordered this meal or selected the sides.  Second, I know you’re thinking that I mentioned their “fantastic lasagna” yet I didn’t order it, but you can order that as a side, so I never order it as an entrée. 

The chicken was perfectly breaded and cooked and it sat on the creamiest mushroom sauce I think I’ve ever tasted.  At first I was concerned that there was too much sauce, but I think the plate made it look like there was more than there actually was.  It was so good that I think I would order it again instead of trying something different from their large menu.


My dish came with two sides and I opted for the five cheese lasagna and wedge fries.  The lasagna side could be a meal in itself.  When we go, I usually don’t plan on eating it (the entrees are big enough) and take it home for lunch the next day.

The wedge fries come with a side of spiced sour cream.  My only complaint is that there isn’t enough of the sour cream.  I took care of that with this dish though, but dipping my fries in the alfredo sauce.

Last, with your meal, they give you a brownie cupcake that has a cheesecake top and is filled with chocolate.  It’s called a Lena Cake and it is absolutely delicious.  Now, I know I said I was planning on ordering dessert with my meal, but since I took half of it home with me, including my Lena Cake, there was no need.

What was eaten:  Caesar Avocado Wrap

I thought my husband was going for the healthier option, until he ordered the mac-and-cheese as his side.  The wrap was filled with a bunch of vegetarian goodness – avocado, cheddar cheese, roasted vegetables, carrots, celery, tomato, onion, garlic and fresh romaine lettuce.  It was finished off with Leona’s house Caesar dressing.  Does it sound yummy?  It should because it was delicious!

The mac-and-cheese was everything it is supposed to be.  It was creamy, cheesy and simply delicious.


So if you’re looking for a great Italian meal (and they have great pizza too), Leona’s is definitely worth the visit.



Leona’s
1455 Ring Road
Calumet City, IL 60409

No comments:

Post a Comment