Thursday, April 7, 2011

Breakfast Biscuits


Recipe modified by You Want Me to Cook? on February 20, 2011.
For a commentary-free and printer-friendly version of it, please click here.

Recipe originally published in Good Housekeeping, February 2011.

I’m not one for spicy food.  I like a little kick, but too much seems flavorless to me.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t knock anyone who likes the spice, I’m just saying I don’t care for it.  The reason I bring this up now is that when I read through this recipe, I didn’t realize how much of a kick pepper Jack cheese had.  I had the biscuits in the oven when I sampled my cheese and started wondering if I was going to like this or not.

I made the entire recipe of biscuits (I’m not going to save a ½ container of refrigerated biscuits), but since I cook for only two of us, I cut the eggs in half.  I could have made the entire dish, but I don’t care for scrambled eggs as leftovers.

My finished product:

© You Want Me to Cook?
Breakfast Biscuits
Picture published with recipe:

None
This is a quickie recipe from Good Housekeeping that didn’t post pictures – again.  I have a vision in my head of the chefs running around screaming, “the Breakfast Biscuits are done.  What is next?  No, throw it away; I’m in a hurry here!  It’s QUICKIE RECIPE TIME!”  At least my picture looks gorgeous.  Golden-browned biscuits with fluffy eggs is my idea of a breakfast.


Assessment:
for more details about what my ratings mean, go to Gretchen’s Rating System

MessEH – Every time I cook eggs, I end up with them on my counter.  I have no idea why.  Other than that, there’s a little chopping and very little equipment that need to be used.

Start-to-Finish Time: AROUND 30 MINUTES – definitely a quick recipe.  You can start the biscuits (no prep work involved – just assembly) first and then prep the rest of ingredients while they are baking.  If you move fast enough, you’ll be able to finish the eggs by the time they are coming out of the oven.

Prep Work: SLIGHT BLOOD LOSS – light chopping and none of it has to be precise.  Comes very close to being a mix and go recipe.

Ease of Recipe: COOK IT IN MY SLEEP – even if you can’t cook eggs, this is a super easy recipe.  Your kids can help you assemble the biscuits while you make the eggs too!

OverallSORRY HONEY, NO LEFTOVERS – the eggs were great, but for us, the real star of the dish was the biscuits.  They were delicious and we ate them with every meal until they were gone.

Recipe Information:
Prep/Total Time: None listed
Servings: 4 sandwiches

Nutritional Information
None given

Good Housekeeping had this is a “quickie” recipe based on getting the most out of refrigerated breakfast biscuits, so they didn’t have any timing listed for their recipe.  Here’s how it broke down for me:
  • Assemble Biscuits: 6 minutes
  • Prep Remaining ingredients: 6 minutes (done while biscuits are cooking)
  • Baking Time – Biscuits: 20 minutes
  • Baking Time – Eggs: 6 minutes (done while biscuits are cooking)
  • Total Time: 26 minutes
I cut the egg portion of the recipe in half, so we got 4 sandwiches out of it.  We ate the remaining biscuits as a snack and with dinner that night.  As for the Nutritional Information, I honestly don’t think they are overly unhealthy, but there is some cheese and meat in it that can raise the fat and sodium levels.  I couldn’t find it, but there is reduced-fat Pepper Jack cheese out there.

Ingredients:
Changes denoted by red text

© You Want Me to Cook?
Breakfast Biscuits
Ingredients
1 tube of biscuits (16 ounce; 8 biscuits)
¾ cup shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
6 eggs
2 ounces cubed ham
2 green onions, sliced
Cooking Spray
Fit Wash

As you can see, there isn't a lot you need for this dish.  Really nice when you want to make something quick for breakfast.






Ingredient Notes:
Buttermilk Biscuits – they didn’t specify what kind of biscuits to use, so I opted for store-brand buttermilk biscuits (they seemed to be the healthiest option out of my selection).

Eggs – the original recipe called for 12 eggs, but I cut in half.

Ham
  • The original recipe called for 4 ounces ham, but I cut it in half.
  • The original recipe called for sliced ham, but I used some cubed ham I already had in my refrigerator.  I did make my cubes a little smaller so I didn’t have large chunks.
  • Don’t think you have to wait until you have leftover ham to make this dish.  You can buy it in packages (whole pieces, sliced, cubed) where you find the pre-packaged deli meat in the grocery store.
Green Onions – the original recipe called for 3 green onions, but I cut it in half… sort of.  I like onions and I didn’t want ½ of a green onion in my fridge, so I used 2.

Cooking Spray – to prevent my biscuits from sticking to my baking sheet, I sprayed it with cooking spray.

Fit Wash – to clean my green onions, I first sprayed them with Fit Wash, which is a citrus spray that helps remove dirt and wax from fresh vegetables.

Equipment Needed:
© You Want Me to Cook?
Breakfast Biscuits
Equipment Needed
Cookie sheet
Cutting board
Sharp knife
Large bowl
Whisk
Skillet
Bread knife










Equipment Notes:
Bread knife – I included this since it is easier to slice the biscuits with a bread-specific knife than a regular one.

Directions:
Ordinarily, I tell you to prep all the ingredients before starting the recipe.  Since you have to bake the biscuits, you can prep the egg-filling ingredients while they are in the oven.

(1)  Set oven to 350°F.

(2)  Place biscuits on greased cookie sheet; top each with 1 tablespoon shredded pepper Jack cheese.
This will be a ½ cup of the cheese out of the ¾ cup total for the entire recipe.
(3)  Bake 17 to 20 minutes or until golden.
My biscuits went the entire 20 minutes and the cheese didn’t get overly browned.  However, the rest of the biscuit was a gorgeous golden brown.
(4)  Meanwhile, prep the remaining ingredients.

(5)  In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sliced ham, ¼ cup more cheese, and sliced green onions.

(6)  Cook in nonstick skillet on medium for 6 minutes or until set, stirring. Serve in split biscuits.
Remember, you will have left-over biscuits.
Any fears I had about not liking this dish were dashed almost immediately.  It was spicy and cheesy and I loved every bite of it.  The leftover biscuits went well with our dinner too – pork chops and mashed potatoes – and we argued over the last two when we were looking for snacks.  If you love a little spice, this dish will make you smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment